Monday, June 13, 2011

The Visual Art Team

My preposed original idea for our Ebook
TEAMWORK
As a team Rachael and I had an important task, to find our Ebook's cover art. Both Rachael and I had different ideas and different method's to getting our book cover. We had to be careful of copyright laws so I first used search.creativecommons.org and searched their. That gave me a mixed bag of results, a lot of the images were still copyrighted and I couldn't use the pictures.

MY SEARCH
My next step was going to sites like istockphoto.com and fotosearch.com, these are both websites with quality pictures that they take and then sell you the picture so you don't have to worry about copyright issues. I had never been on these sites and it showed me how expensive it is to use some of these pictures without getting into legal trouble. Fotosearch.com had really high quality pictures but ranged from $40-$120 bucks per picture!

Istockphoto.com gave me the best results. It gave me the idea I wanted at a reasonable price. I find it interesting that you have to buy "credits" though. The "credit" system was a little sketchy, the options for buying credits was 12 credits at $15 and 28 credits for $38. This would be fine and dandy if the picture I wanted wasn't 15 credits...

THE END RESULT
I found the pictures I wanted and I gave my idea. I felt like because of my idea of going after the younger technological generation we came to conclusion that we shouldn't segment ourself into one market. That is what lead us to the "neutral" picture of the "girl and the bus" that is our Ebook cover. Also Rachael and I were able to expound a little bit more on the "getting on the digital culture train"analogy that the "girl and the bus" picture represents.

I am glad that I was able to lend my passion about imagery to the group and show that images can carry a lot of meaning and symbolism.

Our end cover art for our Ebook


No comments: